Did you ever think how restaurants came into being? I mean, they are like these public places where people go to eat when they get bored of home food, to lazy to cook or whatever. Restaurant food is always tastier than home food. They are always prettier than your home. They always treat you like a king and you don’t even have to clean the dirty dishes!!! (except when you don’t have enough money to pay your bills) Pourquoi, may I ask? But I’m not complaining. I love restaurants. I believe they are a public utility service of utmost importance.
So when a friend asked me if I wanted to sample this new restaurant, I was like,”Yeah! I’ll be there! What time?” At first, I found it a bit strange that the restaurant’s name should bear a resemblance to one of Samuel Clemens’s legendary characters and rumour has it that the place also houses its inanimate namesake, but the food is out of this world!!!! It was like a mélange of cuisines, a potpourri of different cultures juxtaposed with………oh, you get the point!!! My first time around and I gave it a double thumbs-up and now whenever my parents ponder over which restaurant to grace with their presence, I say “Can we go there please??????? Let’s go there!!! Please? Pretty Please!!!!!!!!”
So one afternoon, after some fine dining (uh, lunching), the same friend and I were standing outside waiting for an auto when she says,
“I really like this area, its pretty!”
“Yeah, me too!”
“Lot of cool places here like ________” and she gave me a whole list
“Wait, I thought they were in……….”
“Dude, we are in that place! Are you new around here?”
HOLD YOUR PONIES!!! You’re telling me this is…………………..
Suddenly the screech of a gramophone record and violins in the background
I have often walked down this street before,
But the pavement always stayed beneath my feet before,
All at once am I several storeys high,
Knowing I’m on the street where you live
Are there lilac trees in the heart of town?
Can you hear a lark in any other part of town?
Can enchantment pour out of every door?
No, its just on the street where you live
And oh, the towering feeling!
Just to know somehow you are near
The overpowering feeling
That any second you may suddenly appear
People stop and stare, they don’t bother me
For there’s nowhere else on earth that I would rather be
Let the time go by…………….
I don’t care if I……………..
Can be here on the street where you live
Ok, I’ve never seen a lilac tree in my entire life and I doubt very much if I had heard a lark but I couldn’t believe it. I had combed the City of Culture, every lane, every turn, every crossing and every corner hoping that they would hold signs of him already having visited that place or going to visit them. Every time I ventured out, it was like he fit in every scene that I looked at. And now after all this time….after all these years….the place that I visited occasionally and now stood at, had transformed in my eyes. This was it. My search has ended. Yeah, that’s where I was……………..on the street where he lived.
Thursday, December 6, 2007
On the Street where you live
Posted by Sayonee at 4:29 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
Mind sharing the name of the place with us?
Post a Comment