CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 16, 2008

R.I.P. Westlife Poster

When was it that we were first introduced? When did your music enrapture me? I don't remember clearly but I can say that you were an integral part of my life when I was growing up. Your albums graced my cassette decks, the T.V. would show your videos all day long. I would scan the newspaper everyday if they carried some article or photos of you and if they did, they would be zealously cut out and stored in my bookcase. I would listen to your songs everyday, before going to school, while eating breakfast. I'd spend hours on the Internet downloading candid shots of you and distributing them to my fellow fans. I would look up trivia on you and preach them to those who were interested to know about you. But that wasn't enough........I had to have something of you that would show your importance in my life.
It happened one day when I was in Sangeet Sagar. I saw the poster of your new album Turnaround on the door. I went up to the salesboy and had a little chat.
Me : Do you get posters here?
Him : Of course
and he pulled out the very same one that adorned the store door.
Me : How much?
Him : It's free of charge

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally, for the first time in my life I actually got something that I longed for. I told this to my friends the next day in school. And naturally they were envious of me. I proudly put you up on my balcony door. You stood out like some dark knight in your black hues against the white canvas. You were the first thing I saw when I woke up every morning and the last thing before going to bed. But as time flew by, the inevitable happened. I grew up and......I outgrew you as well.
But you still occupied that special place, partly because you went so well with my room decor and partly because, even till this day I remain a loyal fan of your music, just like the old days. For five years, you remained the sole master of my door space (temporarily taken down when we had to repaint the door) until she came along........Face like an angel, cute pins in her hair, little Miss Anushka Ghosh Roy literally tore you apart from me. I really don't know what it is that you had done to anger her so much that she had to rip your sides and scratch all your faces. She's just a child, they said. But surely even an 8 year old would have atleast even a modicum of sensitivity? You were broken and cut down to pieces but I still left you there because that was your rightful place. But today, when you gave way and fell from grace, I had to admit defeat. It is with a heavy heart that I take you down and fold you up carefully and place you at the bottom of my wardrobe. All I can say in memoriam is that, you will be a tough act to follow up

0 comments: